Pra Singh Temple

           Is located in the center of the city at the intersection of Singharaj and Rajdamnern Road. The large pagoda was built in 1345 by King Pha Yu to house the remains of his father King Kham Phu. A typical scripture repository is located at this temple as well. These mulberry paper sheets used by monk and scribes to keep records and write down folklore. The high stucco-covered stone base of the repository protected the delicate scriptures from the rain, floods and pests. The walls of the chapel are coverer with mural illustrating Lanna customs, dress and scenes from daily life. The lovely Lai Kam chapel houses the revered Phra Singh Buddha image. Sadly, the head was stolen in 1922, and a reproduction is now seen.

Suan Dork Temple

On Suthep Road was built in 1383. It was constructed in the gardens of Lanna Royal Residence. The rows of smaller white pagodas contain the ashes of Chiang Mai Royal family.

Wieng Kum Kam Historical City

The ancient city prior to the founding of Chiang Mai, Wieng Kum Kam was said to have sunk under the ground after a major flood. Nowadays the debris and some ruins that were discovered are evidence of the great kingdom. Wieng Kum Kam is located south east of Chiang Mai, between the 3rd to 4th kilometer of the Super High-Way Road (Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road). In Saraphee district. Apart from driving or walking around to appreciate the historical sites, you can also enjoy riding in a horse carriage from one temple to another.

Jed Yord Temple

           Is situated on the superhighway off Huay Kaew Road, near the Chiangmai National Museum. Built in 1455 by King Tilokaraja, its name means "Seven Spires" - a description of a jedee's construction. It was copied from the Mahabodi Temple in Bodh Gaya, India, where the Buddha achieved enlightenment. The larger jedee contains the ashes of King Tilokaraja.

Chiang Mun Temple

            Is the oldest temple in Chiangmai. It is located within the walled city on Rajpakinai Road. King Mengrai allegedly lived here while the city of Chiangmai was constructed. Enshrined in Wat Chiang Mun is a tiny crystal Buddha called Pra Seh-Taang Kamaneeee. It is thought to have the power to bring rain. Another image, called Phra Sila Khoa, reflects the fine workmanship of Indian craftsmen from thousand of year ago.

More Articles...

  1. Chedi Luang Temple